Saturday, May 17, 2008

I can haz portz plx?

A shorter post, but I think and important one.

I was talking to a friend today about what can be expected, or should be expected, from each class in a pug. It amazes me how little some people know about other classes and are still able to make it to 70.

“Is it too much to ask the Mage to sheep pull, so that their mob stays out of my consecration? Why are Mages so uncomfortable with sheeping that way in pugs? And why does every Mage insist on a Shat Port now, without asking if anyone else wants to go to a different city. Is it too much to ask for a 90S Port to Org instead, after I just got done taking about 12G in damage for him/her?”

This little bit here, although not verbatim, as the conversation took place a few hours ago, raises some good points.

The reason, I think, most Mages wont sheep pre pull in a pug would be because they can’t be sure of the tank/rest of the party. If I sheep the mob, and gain the initial aggro, what guarantee do I have that the tank can pull them off fast enough for me not to die. Especially in a heroic. And if the tank can’t pull it off fast enough, can the healer keep me up? Will the rogue Cheepshot to keep it from killing me? Will the hunter trap/pet the loose mob to save the squishy? It’s a pug, so you can’t be sure. I personally will not hesitate to sheep pull so that my sheep can stay way away from any AOE effects. In fact, in most pugs, I insist on it. If the rest of the party can’t find some cohesion after a pull or two, then I’m done. I move on.

The portal thing. If you want a different port ask. I ALWAYS tip the tank and healer, it’s just good karma to do so. I’ve done it from the first few times I’ve pugged. And you know what; a 5 gold tip to the tank at the end of the instance is a great way to get re-invited. So if I can tip the tank, I can toss up a different port. It shouldn’t be too much to ask at all, the tank/healer/dps has just helped you complete something you didn’t have a chance on completing on your own, why not help him/her get to where they are going much faster than they could otherwise?

There are some things that you as a Mage will have to put up with. Whispers for ports, food, water, biscuits, and buffs sometimes are the basics. And it’s not like it’s the only class that has that issue. You think everyone that plays a Warrior/Pally/Drood don’t get tired of hearing “can you tank?” from some random person. Same goes for every class that can heal. I really feel bad for Pally’s/Drood’s, as they get both “can you tank?” and “can you heal?”. There are some fantastic addons if you are tired of being asked for ports/food/water, but there’s really no reason to be rude. Too much rudeness out of the Mage class, and the next thing you know people will be giving our spots to hunters. (Although, in my case, that’s not such a bad thing.)

No comments: